Wednesday, May 4, 2011

In defense of cowboy poetry

In March, when Nevada Senator Harry Reid (D) used cowboy poetry -- cowboy poetry! -- as an example of the "heartless" cuts the Republicans were demanding, even I blanched. I mean, cowboy poetry? Did Reid really think of all the Draconian cuts on the table, this was the one that people would consider a bridge too far? Taking away heating oil for the poor: no problem. But keep your damn hands off my cowboy poetry!

And sure enough, cowboy poetry became a Republican punchline for the new few weeks. But then, thankfully, the New York Times did some research into this sub-genre. Looks like it's not as ridiculous as it sounds. I'm still not sure it deserves government subsidies, but I found myself heartened at the strong appreciation for poetry that seems to have taken root in the Mountain West. In fact, the annual Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko, Nevada draws 6,000 attendees. How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment